Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Off to the UK

In a few hours I make my journey across the pond for the next few months. It should be fairly obvious I’m excited! Everything is sitting here all packed up in my 2 suitcases with my racing stuff in a duffel bag and hopefully I’m all ready to go.

I’m also a little bit anxious. I really am completely on my own out there; I don’t actually know anyone, which is appealing to my adventurous side, but I’m definitely relying upon the good-will of fellow rallyists and my ability to master an unfamiliar surrounding quickly and with ease (if I have that ability!). There’s a lot of things my sleep deprived, jet-lagged self will need to figure out right away and get done tomorrow, and no one is going to come save me if I get into trouble.

It really feels like being a freshman all over again, except now it’s a new country, a new educational system, and no mom and dad to help move you in...and did I mention I’m rallying right away? I always feel like I’ve bitten off a bit more than I can chew, but I’ve always been able to make it work...somehow, so next time I always try to do something a little bit bigger, push myself a little bit more, and see if it works out...and every time when it’s too late to back out, I’m always thinking, “this time, I really am going in over my head!”

Plains is this weekend. Final regulations and schedules, along with the route book, are sent out to the teams a week prior to the event, which means my driver has all the stuff and I don’t have enough information to make even a small movement schedule. In the US, most of the information is online 2 weeks before the event, and I make my schedule and then I’m given the route book at the event. I think I’ll be alright, but I’d like to be more prepared.

Second weekend is Rally Yorkshire and McRae Stages. I decided to opt out of running Yorkshire to go watch the once in a lifetime opportunity that is McRae Stages. The whole team with Ken, Travis, Alex, Derek, Lance, and Buffum will be there running old 2wd cars in addition to the likes of Bjorn Waldegard, Jimmy McRae, Ari Vatanen, Hannu Mikkola, Malcom Wilson, Matthew Wilson, and Nicky Grist just to name a few. I really can’t pass up the opportunity to witness the true memorial to a rally legend from some of the greatest rally drivers to have ever lived, and from whom never I believed I would get to see drive. All accomodation in the area is booked, and I need to find a ride up, but I’m not too concerned. I’ll get there; I’ll go; and maybe I’ll sleep!

Short entry for today. I’m sure I’ll have lots more to say soon...

-Alex

No comments: